Friday 16 February 2018

Chinese New Year celebrations at Leicester University

What a fab day this was and I was so pleased to be part of it even though it was hard work.


I was commissioned by Leicester University Student Centre to create a workshop for 50 students.  Initially my idea had been to create lanterns using, "Lucky Red Envelopes".  However, due to the cost involved for the volume of students I had to adapt the idea to use red card with a stencilled image, either a paw print or the word dog in Chinese writing.

As sometimes happens plans for the day changed from 2 x 1½ hour workshop to 1 x 1½ hour workshop.  Somewhere along the way this had also gone from a sit down workshop inside to a Make and Take opportunity outside in the events square.

Thinking cap on, and I decided the only way I could run this smoothly without too many frustrated people was to make up kits with all the things required to make a lantern apart from scissors, sticky tape, stencil and ink pads.

The workshop day finally arrived with preparations all done. When I arrived on campus I was guided to the area I would be working in which consisted of 6 separate tables covered with gazebo's. I had visions of me running up and down the tables maintaining 30 people.  This would never do.  I had two tables moved together to form one long table and then 2 separate tables.  That way there was an area to stencil and an area to assemble the lanterns

Sad to say I missed the dragon dance but please click on the video above to get a feel for the day.  Don't blink though or you'll miss seeing the lantern

Although my time was 1½ hours, I stayed for 2 just to make sure everyone had completely finished.    And it was full on for the entire time I was there I can tell you. All in all it was a lovely experience, with excited chattering, plenty of huge smiles and completed lanterns which says it all to me.

I worked out that every 2 minutes a new person turned up to the table to do some making.  A job well done, don't you think.


No comments: