Thursday 2 August 2018

Activate, a fun day for all the family

Following up on an urgent shout out by Transported Art, I managed to secure a days work over at Carter's Park in Holbeach.

It was a hot day and I managed to find a parking spot on the road nestled under some trees.  Fingers crossed that I wouldn't come back to a blazing car.




The stand was set up by the time I got to the park by two members of the Transported team.  All I needed to do was unpack my trolley bag and then the day would begin.




Almost from the start we were busy, with parents and children arriving at the table to create a butterfly, seemingly en masse.  I Looked around the park the same could be said for the other stands. I was so thankful to have the support of the staff from Transported, it made for a smoother experience for the children.




It always amazes me that the most simplest of activities can be the most engaging. The other thing of note is the level of skills children present when given a task.  I was extremely impressed by a four year old girl who joined the table who positively radiated  independence and sat there quietly cutting out her butterfly practically unaided. I have always found through personal experience it is always best to allowed people to blossom whatever age they are. Encouraging people to try before you do a task for them is always key, that way they gain confidence and increase their own self worth.

We continues supplying butterfly templates to be coloured in and acetate for the top wings for the next two hours, then ran out.  I had been booked for 4 hours.



However, I am a girl that thinks on her feet and I had brought along plenty more clear sticky book cover.  This enabled us to stay open and continue to provide more creativity to even more children. The only other problem was a little breeze which came and went which caused all sorts of fun with the tissue paper but that didn't deter the fun that the children had.  At the end of 4 hours 85+ children had come to the stand.




I have to say I was fortunate to be under the cover of a gazebo otherwise I would have frazzled in the sun.  The same could not be said for my car which was blazingly hot when I returned to it to drive home.


No comments: