Saturday 10 February 2018

Lace Tatting Demonstration at the National Centre for Craft and Design

As a Fellow member of the Design Nation, incorporating Design Factory we all have the opportunity to provide a demonstration of our work to the public.  There are many, many members and most are keen to share their work.

My slot had been booked about 6 months ago so there was plenty of time to decide what I would share in my demonstration, in this case tatting.

If you have never heard of tatting I describe it thus, an handmade lace created by making a series of tiny knots using a shuttle or long needle, not unlike Macrame but on a very small scale. Loops, chains and picots are repeated to form patterns that make up the lace.  I tend to use it in my jewellery, but more recently I have been exploring different ways I can utilise the final product.  Here is one way I currently use the lace by making "Petite Flowers" which are available at NCCD or on my online shop at madebyhandonline

There's one thing I enjoy about being around people is sharing my craft, my making skills and my joy at seeing people just having a go.





So, being no exception, I was able to show one lady who was currently working towards her Final Major piece on her foundation course how to tat.  The challenge was that she was left handed but between us she got there.  Another lady who I had been conversing with on twitter came along to find out how to join pieces together, again she went away happy and shared some ideas she had about working with shells.  It sounds very interesting.





I laid my work out so that people could see how it looked blocked out and I had a selection of just finished pieces with all the raw threads showing that people could handle.

All in all it was a lovely day made all the better by a steady supplier of hot drinks. form the cafe. If you would like  to see more of my work please visit my Facebook page.

I will be running a Lace Tatting workshop on Wednesday 9th April at the Leicester Craft Centre, Market Harborough.  If you would like to join me please click or contact me via my Facebook page.





No comments: