Thursday 4 October 2012

An interview with Kate Bajic

My first interview will be with the lovely Kate Bajic....



So Kate, can you recall how or why you became a maker?   

My interest in jewellery design developed from attending a one day workshop where I was first introduced to some of the techniques and materials involved. It came at a time when I was looking for a career change so I decided to find out more about training as a jewellery designer and ended up doing an art foundation course followed by a degree in silversmithing/jewellery at Loughborough University. Progressing from that initial workshop experience and developing into an experienced designer/maker has proved to be one of the most rewarding things I’ve done.

If you hadn't chosen to become a designer and maker what other career would you have opted for?
I can’t really imagine doing anything else now but maybe I could have trained as a teacher, teaching adults is an aspect of my job that I’ve discovered I really enjoy and get a lot out of.


What comes first - the materials or the design idea? 

For me the material has always played an important part in my designs. At university I spent a long time developing models for ideas rather than drawing them out. I’ve always found this a more natural way of working for me.

How do you choose your materials? 

I’m always drawn towards working with metal, it’s my natural choice. Given the chance I would love to work mainly in high carat gold, it’s a gorgeous material to work with, but I also enjoy the qualities and beauty silver offers.

Which tool would you be lost without?

What a tough question!  That's really made me think.... I suppose if I had to pick one it would be my saw, hought it could also easily be my hammer.... I don't think I can choose between them.

What keeps you motivated? 

Deadlines! They are great motivators and I always seem to have at least one or two on the horizon!

What tips do you have to get around creative block?

I find getting out of the studio/office for a bit helps.  Going for a bike ride, visiting a friend, doing something completely different can often help me to overcome a lack of creativity.
What would you say are your values and ethics when it comes to designing?  

I’m a strong believer in the quality of the making. Design is important but you should be able to realise your ideas in a well thought out and beautifully made piece of work. Why take short cuts on the making process, I thinking the long run it only weakens your idea.

And finally, tell us where we can find you if we want to learn more out about your exhibitions or selling events? 

You can visit my  website at www.katebajic.co.uk where there is a link to twitter. I can also be found on Facebook.  If you are not able to visit me at my upcoming events then you will find my work for sale at madebyhandonline.



Thank you Kate for sharing an insight into being a Designer and Maker, I'm looking forward to sharing a stand at MADE London at Marylebone One between 26th and 28th October 2012





No comments: