Thursday 11 October 2012

Interview with Caroline Kirton

Here's the interview I had with Caroline recently.....



So Caroline, can you describe your journey to becoming a professional designer/maker?
 
I did an applied art degree at the University of Hertfordshire with the intention of becoming an art teacher.  While I was studying for my degree I enjoyed making art so much I did want to give it up and I soon realise that teaching is such a time consuming job I would find it hard to make time for my own art practice.  Since graduating I have focused on exhibiting and trying to raise my art profile.

I have always been a maker from a very young age, cloths for dolls, presents for relatives etc but I have always been drawn to using textiles.

 Where does your inspiration come from?

My work is inspired by every day life, from situation or comments I find amusing I see my work as a social commentary. 

What comes first - the materials or the design idea?

The concept behind each piece of work is the most important factor but then I chose very carefully which fabrics I use to complement or highlight each picture.  I use a combination of recycled, vintage, found and some new fabric.

What tips do you have for motivating yourself?

I don't really have problems with motivation because when I am not making I really miss the creative aspect of my work.  My main problem working from home is family distractions.  But once I get started on a new piece of work I become very focused.

What would you say are your values and ethics when it comes to designing?

One thing for me that is the most important part of being a designer is to make sure each new piece of work is a thoughtful process and is not just churned out.  Each picture should be as well thought out from concept to material and design choice as the last one.

From all your pieces which is your favourite and why?

Very new picture I finish becomes my favourite until the next one.  Although I will always have a soft spot for the picture of 'Luis' because although it was not the first one I did it was the story that started my entire way of working.

Do you have an online presence that we can find more information about you?

Where can we find your work?

At the moment I sell my work in two galleries Art@88 in Berkhamstead and Art Nest in Hitchin


Thank you Caroline for sharing an insight into how you work.  I look forward to sharing a stand at MADE London at Marylebone One between 26th and 28th October 2012

No comments: